Shaping the future
of animal health
Products

C.E.T. AQUADENT® Drinking Water Additive

Drinking water additive developed by veterinary dental specialists to help maintain dog and cat dental health.

For use as a daily drinking water additive for dogs and cats to help fight plaque and freshen breath.

  • Helps maintain oral hygiene, prevent plaque accumulation, and freshen breath when used along with a regular home dental care program for cats and dogs.
  • Easy to use—pet owners simply add 2 teaspoons (10mL) to a quart of pet’s drinking water every day to provide clinically tested dental care every time a pet drinks.
  • Available in 500 mL bottles and premeasured, easy-dose 10 mL packets.

Available Sizes

Description Product Number
10 mL (30-count dispenser) CET504
500 mL CET503
C.E.T. AQUADENT<sup>®</sup> Drinking Water Additive

Click image to enlarge

C.E.T. AQUADENT<sup>®</sup> Drinking Water Additive
Additional Product Information
Download MSDS
FAQs

Can C.E.T.® AQUADENT® Water Additive be used with other dental products?

Yes, C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive is formulated by veterinary dental specialists to help freshen your pet’s breath and maintain oral health.  It can be used in conjunction with a regular home dental care program.

Can I premix and refrigerate water containing C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive?

Fresh water with C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive should be made every 24 hours per the label instructions.  We do not recommend premixing and refrigerating treated water prior to use.

Can C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive be used in circulating water fountains?

It is not recommended. Most fountains have filters for organic compounds. Since xylitol is an organic compound, the filter may remove the xylitol.

Is the sediment in the product normal?

Light sedimentation is to be expected.  These particles are a normal occurrence as a part of the formulation.

Can C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive be used for cats and dogs with a history of crystals or bladder stones?

We do not know how C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive will affect urine pH. We do not have studies with the use of C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive in crystal/stone disease.

What happens to the chlorhexidine that is in C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive?

Most of the chlorhexidine is passed out of the body in the feces. There is very little absorption in the GI system.1,2

  1. Magnusson, B., and G. Heyden. “Autoradiographic Studies of C 14-chlorhexidine Given Orally in Mice.”  J Period 8.12 (1973): 49-54.
  2. Winrow, M.J. “Metabolic Studies with Radiolabelled Chlorhexidine in Animals and Man.” J. Period 8.12 (1973): 45-48.

Is the xylitol contained in C.E.T. AQUADENT® Drinking Water Additive safe for dogs?

Xylitol is included in C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive because of its significant benefits in oral health.  Research shows that xylitol, a five-carbon sugar alcohol, has an antibacterial effect on oral bacteria, anti-adhesive properties against dental plaque, as well as anti-calculus forming properties in both dogs and cats.1

Virbac has received questions like yours involving a mistaken association of C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive and the toxicity of xylitol in dogs.  Frequently, these reports have misinterpreted the ASPCA’s information on the subject. It should be noted that as an animal health company committed to the health and well-being of animals, Virbac supports the ASPCA’s campaign to educate pet owners about the dangers of xylitol contained in common human products such as gum, candy, and sugar replacement products. For example, only one piece of chewing gum can contain as much as 1,000 mg of xylitol.  This amount of xylitol may be toxic to a 22 lb. (10 kg) dog. 

It should also be noted that C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive has been specifically formulated for use in dogs and cats with a safe level of xylitol when used according to label directions. In fact, Dr. Eric Dunayer, formerly of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), board certified by the American Board of Toxicology, Inc. (DABT) and having a special interest in xylitol toxicosis, specifically states in a risk assessment paper written about C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive:

“Based on published studies of xylitol toxicity in dogs and the APCC’s experience, proper use of this product (according to label directions) should not present a risk of hypoglycemia in dogs. In addition, no significant hepatic toxicity would be expected either.”2

Because xylitol is rapidly metabolized, accumulation in the body does not occur from one consumption episode to the next.  To illustrate further, that same 22 lb. dog mentioned in the example above, would need to consume 5 gallons (~40 lbs.) of water treated with C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive in a single drinking session to receive a toxic amount of xylitol.  Therefore, pets drinking water treated with C.E.T. AQUADENT Water Additive, when used according to label directions, receive levels of xylitol well below that which has been determined to be toxic to dogs.

References:

  1. Clarke, David E., BVSc, DAVDC, FAVD, MACVSc; 2006, J Vet Dent, 23(2).
  2. Dunayer, EK and Khan, SA, (February 2006), Risk Assessment of Xylitol in Dogs and Cats.
People who viewed this product also viewed